The Best Wildlife Photography of 2013
The results of the 2013 Wildlife Photographer of the Year were announced October 17th and a number of phenomenal images made the shortlist of 100 photographs. The annual competition, now in its 49th year, is led by two United Kingdom institutions, the Natural History Museum and BBC Worldwide, who collectively received 43,000 photos from 96 countries this year. The photos will begin an international tour in the UK starting in November and you can find exhibition times and dates here.
The second and tenth images shown above, Mother by Udayan Rao Pawar of India and Essence of elephants by Greg du Toit of South Africa are the two grand title winners. The rest of the photographs are a mix of both winners and runner-up selections. You can read much more about each photograph at Wildlife Photographer of the Year. (via Colossal)
- Snow moment. Jasper Doest, The Netherlands.
- Mother. Udayan Rao Pawar, India. Grand Title Winner Young Wildlife Photographer of the Year (11-14 years), 2013.
- Fish-eye view. Theo Bosboom, The Netherlands.
- Freeze frame. Etienne Francey, Switzerland.
- Lionfish Bait. Alex Tattersall, United Kingdom.
- The flight path. Connor Steganison, Canada.
- The water bear. Paul Souders, United States.
- Feeding of the five thousand. Yossi Eshbol, Israel.
- Dive Buddy. Luis Javier Sandoval, Mexico.
- Essence of elephants. Greg du Toit, South Africa. Grand Title Winner Wildlife Photographer of the Year, 2013.